Role Value Proposition:
HR / Global Compensation and Benefits supports MetLife’s strategy by ensuring that desired performance outcomes are rewarded, and the optimal programs are in place to attract, engage, motivate and retain talent in all the markets where we compete for talent and serve our customers. This role has responsibility for analysis, implementation, education, and consultation around non-sales compensation programs for designated line(s) of business and / or global function(s) within MetLife.
The Lead Compensation Consultant plays a key role in providing expertise, analysis and counsel to ensure the competitiveness and effectiveness of MetLife’s global compensation programs while ensuring internal equity, external competitiveness, and compliance. This role participates in global reviews of MetLife’s market-aligned compensation opportunities, conducts job evaluations, and advises on internal and external offers. The Lead Compensation Consultant also serves as an advisor on trends and legislative issues affecting compensation.
- Act as the primary compensation partner for designated line(s) of business and/or global function(s); serve as a consultative advisor on all compensation-related practices.
- Participate in the development, refinement, and implementation of compensation philosophy, strategy, policies, and programs to build transparency and trust in the company’s reward approach through communication and education.
- Advise on application of established job family progressions, and facilitate continually evolving the job architecture to support new ways of working; conduct preliminary job evaluations in support of activities such as reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, etc.
- Partner with MetLife’s executive recruiting team and HR partners to draft compensation offers that balance external competitiveness and internal equity.
- Facilitate the year-end pay for performance process (both base salary and variable compensation) and participate in HR and manager training & education as well as lessons learned reviews.
- Partner with the compensation analytics team to confirm job matches and benchmark roles to relevant surveys to ensure MetLife’s compensation opportunities remain market-aligned.
- Contribute to projects and compensation-related research; participate in reviews and analyses, and develop executive-ready graphics and materials to convey findings and recommendations to HR business partners and line leaders.
- Stay current and leverage professional networks to ensure awareness of contemporary and evolving competitive practices to advise on potential implications and develop practical solutions.
- Support U.S. FLSA exemption compliance work, partnering with legal colleagues, HR, and managers on assessing jobs.
- Participate in and/or lead special projects as needed.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 10 or more years of relevant experience in a corporate and/or consulting environment focused on broad-based compensation
- Clear, concise and effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to present facts, insights and recommendations with effective storytelling
- Analytical yet practical, critical thinker; must have intellectual curiosity and “connect the dots”; skilled at conveying complex topics clearly and succinctly
- Professional presence; proven ability to communicate, educate, and influence at all levels of the organization, demonstrating confidence without arrogance
- Strong organization, planning and project management skills and ability to work collaboratively with other departments or functions as well as people in other cultures and with diverse perspectives
- Advanced skills in Excel (including modeling, pivot tables, executive-ready graphics, etc.), Power Point, Microsoft Applications, and report writing; database skills preferred
- Extreme detail-orientation and commitment to accuracy and quality balanced with timeliness
- Unquestionable reputation for integrity and ethics with an orientation for compliance and confidentiality
- Continuous improvement mindset, partnering to enhance, refine, and improve processes and programs
- Global mindset, with perspectives beyond home country
- Adept at flexing focus and balancing multiple stakeholders and projects when urgent requests cause reprioritization of deliverables
- Experience in a compensation consulting firm and/or a consultative compensation-focused role within a complex, global, publicly-traded company (with coverage for Technology jobs a plus)
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited university in a related discipline (e.g., business, accounting, actuarial, economics, finance)
- Experience and understanding of enterprise information systems on a global scale, and external vendor-related systems/platforms. Ability to quickly grasp proprietary HR processes and systems; familiarity with Oracle-cloud and/or WTW’s Compensation Software and global grading system a plus
- Attainment of, or progress towards, Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation through WorldatWork
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
The wage range for applicants for this position is $96,000 to $161,800. This role is also eligible for annual short-term incentive compensation. MetLife offers a comprehensive benefits program, including healthcare benefits, life insurance, retirement benefits, parental leave, legal plan services and paid time off. All incentives and benefits are subject to the applicable plan terms.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.metlife.com.