Website Southern Company
This position is a key resource to execute the Southern Company’s compensation philosophy. The position will focus on the design and management of the executive compensation programs, as well as short-term and long-term incentive programs for all employees. The position will analyze emerging issues and coordinate with internal and external partners to develop solutions and/or innovations for our compensation programs.
This position provides direct support to senior leadership and prepares material for the Compensation and Talent Development Committee for their review and approval of the compensation programs. This position is part of the larger Southern Company’s Compensation Team.
The mission for our Total Rewards team is to collaborate to improve the lives of our employees and retirees through strategically optimizing human capital (employee experience). This position will contribute to the mission with their engagement, analysis, and strategic perspective.
- Develop analysis and presentations for the Compensation and Talent Development Committee of the Southern Company Board of Directors (on-going support to committee and coordination with legal, finance, accounting etc.)
- Identify competitive best practices and emerging trends in executive compensation; monitor evolving regulatory, legislative and shareholder developments and report issues that may impact compensation strategy and design
- Pivotal role in the development and coordination of the annual Compensation Discussion & Analysis disclosure, including preparing all supporting tables
- Partner in the review and development of compensation program design, including executive programs and broad-based short-term and long-term incentive programs
- Support the equity administration of our long-term incentive program including the vendor management
- Support production of annual Total Rewards Statements for executives
- Partner with HR Delivery teams and other Total Rewards teams to evaluate and respond to employee questions and concerns regarding the compensation programs
- Build relationships internally and collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams
- Provide support for the governance and administration of equity plans and short-term incentive plans
- Research of compensation related accounting and tax rules, securities law, and corporate governance issues
- Review and monitor job evaluations from compensation team for executive positions
- Improve processes and procedures to streamline administration aspects of executive compensation
- Bachelors degree required in economics, finance, mathematics, statistics or similar quantitative field
- MBA is a preferred but not required
- 5+ years of compensation experience
- Experience with executive compensation program design, equity administration, providing support for the Compensation Committee, and preparation of the Compensation Discussion & Analysis disclosure in the proxy
Knowledge / Skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate complex analysis to different audiences
- Strategic perspective with a strong business acumen
- Knowledge of compensation programs and practices, and principles for base salary and short and long-term incentive plans
- Knowledge of the accounting, financial planning, and tax implications for short-term and long-term variable compensation programs
- Knowledge of regulatory/SEC considerations and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to solve complex problems
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Intermediate skill in Excel; advanced skill in PowerPoint
- Certified Executive Compensation Professional (CECP) designation preferred
- Takes initiative and personal responsibility for their work
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity with a desire to investigate and understand thoroughly assignments and responsibilities
- Innovative and willingness to share thoughts and ideas
- Highly motivated and works well with minimal supervision
- Ability to work closely with others towards a common goal
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy provider serving 9 million residential and commercial customers across the Southeast and beyond through its family of companies. Providing clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy with excellent service is our mission. The company has electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company with national capabilities, a fiber optics network, and telecommunications services. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, resilience, and sustainability, we are taking action to meet our customers’ and communities’ needs while advancing our commitment to net zero emissions by 2050. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and are the key to our sustained success. We are transforming energy into economic, environmental and social progress for tomorrow. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have earned the company national awards and recognition from numerous organizations, including Forbes, Military Times, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, J.D. Power, Fortune, Human Rights Campaign and more. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Identification: 3994
Job Category: Human Resources
Job Schedule: Full time
Company: Southern Company Services
To apply for this job please visit southerncompany.jobs.